From the City of Gardendale website
"Gardendale is a quiet and growing community of friendly people, beautiful neighborhoods, and prosperous businesses. Our city began its life in the 1830s as a farming community and grew steadily through the 1860s.
After the Civil War, Gardendale’s population doubled when the coal mines opened in the 1870s. By early 1900s the town was a bustling community with saw mills, cotton gins, merchants, churches and a school.
Until 1906, the town was called “Jugtown” because of a crockery jug and churn factory located here. The name changed after a campaign was launched to have a name more reflective of the area."